Sunday, May 11, 2008

Spa Confessions

For Mother's Day, two of my friends and I went to a day spa for some pampering and then had lunch at The Corner Bakery. It's always fun to get together with the girls. We all work and we each have two boys. We've known each other since high school. As usual, we ended up talking about our work, our boys, the upcoming election and personal finances. My friend who's the family physician whose husband is a teacher who definitely makes more than me seems to be facing tough financial times since they've refinanced their current home to pay off other debt so their mortgage is upside down and the other house they own is also in the same position so they feel completely tied to a difficult situation. I really sympathize with her. It's funny because I wish I had her large current home of over 2300SF and a rental property but, obviously, there are challenges. And, the cost to heat and cool such a large house! I mentioned that there are blogs aplenty about personal finance and frugal living so perhaps she'll look at some. She's a wonderful photographer, too. I imagine she'd be able to start doing small jobs and get a lot of referrals quickly. I want to help her and will continue to think of ways.

How have you helped your friends in tough financial situations?

1 comment:

Ida said...

I can completely empathize with your desire to help her figure out ways to fix her finances. I do the same thing. I'm writing a Household Finance book right now, and all of my Beta Testers are friends whose finances need an overhaul. It's the only way I can help them for free and they won't feel guilty about accepting the help.

Hope you enjoyed the spa!!!