Thursday, February 28, 2008

Costs Across the Country -- well, the West Coast for now

The increase in cost of pizza dough which I mentioned in my prior post is indicative of the rising cost of grocery prices. I asked two other bloggers to send me prices on some staple items and here's what's going on in some other areas of the country. As it turns out, they both live in Oregon and I live in California so we're West Coast heavy. Anyone from the Midwest, South or Northeast who chances upon this, feel free to email me with your prices and I'll add them! Thanks, Finally Frugal, for putting a request out to your readers.

Location: Portland, OR (grocery prices from Fred Meyer)
Gallon of milk: $2.69
Loaf of sandwich bread: .89
Pound of apples: Braeburn: .98/lb, Fuji: $1.28/lb
Gallon of gas: $3.05 (Arco station)


From Being Frugal (Lynnae),
These are the prices from Winco, my bare bones, cheapo store in Medford, Oregon.
1 Gallon of Milk: $2.74
1 lb. of Apples: 68 cents to 98 cents a lb, depending on the type
Bread: 75 cents for white; $1.25 for 100% whole wheat.
1 Gallon of Gas: $3.08


From me, FrugalMomLA: http://frugalmomla.blogspot.com
Prices based on Trader's Joe's in Southern California
1 Gallon of Milk: $3.29
1 lb. of apples: 49 cents to $1.29/ lb
Bread: 99 cents
1 Gallon of Gas: $3.33

So the prices here are based on the West Coast primarily but I hope to add some from other regions as well. The next round I'll contact a few more people but this is a start. And, it's not so much where we're starting from but the actual tracking of these prices over time to see what's happening in our economy and with inflation. And, gas, of course, is a moving target so it's hard to say on any given day where we'll be with it.

I'm glad to say that since I posted the above, I received the following from a neighbor to the North. Thank you, Canadian Sadie!

Nova Scotia, Canada

Gallon of Milk (4 Litres): $6.19
Pound of apples: $1.49
Loaf of bread: $1.49
Litre of gas: $1.14 (which would be around $4.56/gallon)

http://penniesintheocean.blogspot.com

1 comment:

canadian sadie said...

Nova Scotia, Canada

Gallon of Milk (4 Litres): $6.19
Pound of apples: $1.49
Loaf of bread: $1.49
Litre of gas: $1.14 (which would be around $4.56/gallon)

http://penniesintheocean.blogspot.com